PROJECT MANAGER / AREA PLANNER
project diversity, career advancement, flexibility
This engaging and exciting position is predominantly office-based with a fieldwork component. You will be leading and managing forestry planning and cutting permit development with our team of forest professionals and providing leadership and mentorship to help develop junior team members. You will also be provided with opportunities to grow and diversify your career into other fields of natural resource management.
This position is based in beautiful Terrace, BC, a fun and family-oriented community, with many local amenities and access to an abundance of arts, culture and outdoor activities including incredible fishing, skiing, mountain biking and hiking. Most of our work is local, so if you love being home every night this position would be a great fit for you.
Westland Resources provides natural resource management services to a diverse range of clientele throughout Northwest BC. For almost 20 years our services have included strategic, tactical and operational advice; research and assessments; development and permitting; operational implementation, monitoring and supervision; economic and community development; and all-round problem solving. Our clients include First Nations, energy corporations, forest licensees, infrastructure developers, and all levels of government.
The Project Manager / Planner will:
• Manage forest development planning and activities such as: reconnaissance, leading road and harvest system layout, road design and mapping, LiDAR analysis, and cutting permit preparation.
• Team Leadership for crew logistics and scheduling.
• Develop and Mentor Westland’s team of junior and intermediate staff.
• Provide Team Support in other natural resource sectors such as energy, environmental, community wildfire and First Nation led projects.
Your experience includes:
• Ability to Lead and Manage cutblock and road layout in mountainous terrain (cable and ground systems), ideally with 5 or more years’ experience.
• Experienced with GPS technology and competent with applications such as: RoadEng, ArcMap, and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word etc.).
• Knowledgeable and experienced with forestry permit preparation and technical writing.
• Registered with Forest Professionals British Columbia (FPBC)
• A team-oriented self-starter who looks for opportunities to improve systems, find efficiencies, and problem solve.
• Client Service Oriented to ensure client needs and obligations are fulfilled.
• Open and positive with clients and government agencies
• Experience in cruising, waste & residue surveys, and/or wildfire planning would also be an asset.
WHAT WE OFFER
Westland offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package (at the time of hire), profit sharing opportunities, pension allowance, coverage of professional dues, allowances for personal equipment and moving, work schedule flexibility (to promote work / life balance), professional development and training opportunities and a minimum signing bonus of $1500 (based on experience and completion of a 90-day probationary period).
Westland strives to create an upbeat, fun, and respectful workplace with a focus on safety, teamwork, and communication. We value the diversity of our team and welcome applicants from all walks of life.
If you’d like to be part of our team, please email your resumé and cover letter with a summary of qualifications and experience to WLR@westlandresources.ca.
We thank all persons who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Providing practical, professional, and innovative solutions to the natural resource sector since 2003.