Ministry of Forests
Burns Lake, Houston, Smithers
This position can be based out of any of the locations listed above.
Flexible work options are available; this position may be able to work up to 2 days at home per week subject to an approved telework agreement.
$67,931.58 - $86,624.56 annually, plus $39.85 bi-weekly isolation allowance for Burns Lake; $36.53 bi-weekly isolation allowance for Smithers; $39.85 bi-weekly isolation allowance for Houston.
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) is a unique program of the Ministry of Forests (FOR). Working collaboratively with regional and district operations, BCTS plans, develops, and auctions a substantial portion of the province’s annual available timber volume. BCTS operations are guided by three overarching principles: forest sector safety, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and sustainable forest management.
The Practices Forester is accountable for performing a wide variety of professional services including operational planning, cut block and forest road layout and development, planning and evaluating silviculture activities, and ensuring compliance with the Forest Stewardship Plan. The range of duties assigned to a particular Practices Forester will vary from Business Area to Business Area due to the geographic location, apportionment and management requirements.
Qualifications for this role include:
- A Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or be eligible for registration as an RPF with Forest Professionals British Columbia (FPBC) and two (2) years of experience in operational field forestry activities.
Operational field forestry activities include the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Planning integrated resource management
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
For more information and to apply online by February 29, 2024, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/110074