Ministry of Forests
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
$67,728.87 - $77,012.22 annually
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) is a unique program of the Ministry of Forests (MOF). Working collaboratively with regional and district operations, BCTS plans, develops, and auctions a substantial portion of the province’s annual available timber volume. BCTS operates as a for profit entity within a government organization. Its goal is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the Market Pricing System through auctions of timber harvested from British Columbia’s public land. BCTS operations are guided by three overarching principles, forest sector safety, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and sustainable forest management.
As an Operations Technologist, you will be responsible for developing operating standards, implementing new forest management practices, contract management, coordinating technical activities, monitoring adherence to legislative and environmental standards and providing technical expertise to staff in one or more of the following areas: tenure development, road and block layout, silviculture, timber tenure administration and forestry contract administration.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Graduation from an approved technical institute with a diploma or degree in resource or forestry management and three (3) years of experience in one (1) or more operational field forestry activities, OR
- An equivalent combination of education or experience such as five (5) years of experience in one (1) or more areas of operational field forestry.
Operational field forestry activities include the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Applicants must be registered or eligible for registration with Forest Professionals British Columbia (FPBC) as a Registered Forest Technologist or equivalent.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
For more information and to apply online by September 10, 2023, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/103947