Western Forest Products is hiring for an Operations Field Planner to join our Nootka Forest Operation based in Gold River, BC.
What You’ll Do: Reporting to the TFL Forester, the Operations Field Planner is responsible for field and office activities related to the engineering and development of road construction and harvest plans within TFL 19. The Operations Field Planners also work alongside our various Forest Operations Departments who conduct our roadbuilding and harvesting. Working with a team of Forest Professionals, they play a important role in all aspects of forest operations planning while supporting an annual harvest of 350,000 m3.
Who You Are: This is a great opportunity for someone who has a degree or diploma in Forestry or Natural Resource Management and aspirations to obtain their RPF or RFT designation. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who demonstrates exceptional communications skills, is well organized, and has a proven ability to work in a team environment. You possess a basic understanding of operational forest management with a strong focus on improving safety, quality, and efficiency.
What We Offer:
- Salary range of $55,000 - $70,000 based on skill level, qualifications, and experience
- Annual performance bonus
- Pension plan contributions - WFP contributes 7% towards a pension plan, no matching required
- Extended health and dental benefits – WFP pays for 100% of the employee monthly premiums
- 3 weeks’ vacation to start
- Employee family assistance program
- Financial support for learning and development opportunities
Work Environment (Onsite): This role is to be performed in person at our Nootka Forest Operation.
- Actively participate as part of the Forestry team in field activities related to engineering layout;
- Assist in the preparation of the various plans and assessments associated with cutblock development including: Site Plans, Harvest, Road, Silviculture and Deactivation Instructions, Cutting Permit Submissions, Road Permit Submissions and related engineering projects, and prepare other applications as necessary;
- Work alongside our production department to gain exposure to road construction, harvesting and other business aspects of the operation;
- Demonstrate adherence to company safety and environmental processes and procedures;
- Understand corporate financial goals and provide recommendations about effective and innovative strategies to drive project cost efficiencies;
- Follow and implement principles in support of sustainable, integrated resource management;
- Actively maintain mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations partners, Government agencies and both internal and external stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- 2-3 years of experience related to road and cutblock development in BC is an asset;
- Post-secondary degree in Forestry or related degree in Natural Resource Management, and;
- Current accreditation or eligible for accreditation, with the Forest Professionals British Columbia (RPF);
- Applicants with less than required experience and/or accreditation may be considered.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Basic understanding and comprehension of Forest Management and Land Use Planning;
- Ability to work in a team environment and possess good communication skills;
- Basic working knowledge of legal regulations and requirements related to BC crown and private land forest operations;
- Experience with forestry software (LRM, Roadeng, etc.) as well as technology (i.e. LiDAR) would be considered an asset.
At Western Forest Products, we believe our most significant asset is our people. Investing in our people brings value and success to our business, ensuring a safe, engaged, productive and continuously improving workplace. We offer challenging opportunities working alongside the best in the industry to meet your career and professional development goals while providing competitive total rewards and recognition.
We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
Western Forest Products is a leading forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with operations in the coastal region of BC and Washington State, Western meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering.
Our commitment to health and safety, environmental stewardship and community engagement is core to how we do business at Western Forest Products.
Our approach to responsible business practices in all aspects of our business is multi-faceted. We adhere to and employ the most stringent environmental practices in the world. The steps we take to ensure the forests in which we operate are renewed and remain healthy and viable for future generations are mirrored in the care we take to make certain our communities continue to grow and prosper. This includes investing in communities where we operate and continuing to forge mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations in respect of their local and cultural interests.