Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Natural Resource Specialist 4 (GMS/Hudson's Hope)
Job Location: Hudson's Hope, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* Prepares documentation, budgets, terms of reference, standards, guidelines and contract specifications, etc. for, and oversees, inspects and administers a full range of biological resource and environmental protection measures for major, large, complex programs and projects to satisfy environmental plans and objectives, regulatory requirements, contract specification
* Undertakes in-depth studies to determine the environmental impact of major, large and complex programs and future Hydro facilities.
* Develops standards and strategies for parameters influencing the biological environment; prepares recommendations to enhance consistency and quality of standards. Responds to unforeseen environmental concerns not covered by existing regulations for standards.
* Ensures consistency in environmental inspection protocols, report preparation, liaison with outside groups and within BC Hydro including project, field and resource staff.
* Facilitates meetings with government agency representatives from various Ministries and branches to determine and incorporate routine regulatory requirements and options for compliance.
* Is deployed to the field to respond to unforeseen environmental concerns by coordinating mitigation and managing related communication inside and outside BC Hydro.
* Provides technical direction to external consultants, crew leaders and staff in lower-level Natural Resource positions engaged in environmental inspection and related activities, to ensure consistency, quality control requirements, standards, guidelines.
* Provides work leadership to and performs all the functions of the Natural Resource Specialist 3 job.
* Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
* Completion of a Bachelor degree in Natural Resource or Environmental Studies with at least eight (8) years of relevant work experience or as an equivalent, completion of Technologist Diploma in Natural Resources or Environmental Studies with nine (9) years of relevant work experience.
* Must be eligible for membership with the College of Applied Biology.
* Valid BC Driver’s Licence required.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE).
You will receive:
- A comprehensive benefits package
- A minimum of 15 paid vacation days
- A lifetime pension
- Flexible work model, depending on your role type
- Training and development courses
For more information on the benefits we offer, visit bchydro.com/benefits.
* This is a Full-time Regular (FTR) MoveUP Group 12 opportunity on the team, based in Hudson's Hope.
* A condition of employment is to maintain your Class 5 drivers license in good standing.
* Please note in regards to being eligible for membership with the College of Applied Biology we are also willing to consider those that are qualified/eligible with another professional regulator at this time.
* Spends approximately 30-40% of time in the field. Exposed to all types of weather conditions at work sites that may be remote. Approximately 10% of time is spent in a vehicle. Regular exposure to river and lake conditions when performing field work. May be required to operate boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, 4x4 trucks on rough access roads. Climbs or walks on uneven, steep and/or rough terrain in all weathers during field work.
* As part of the selection process, applicants may be required to take a written test/assessment or do a presentation.
* This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 20%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
* This location is eligible for Travel Incentive. The Travel Incentive is extended to Full-Time Regular employees who are working in eligible remote locations.
* This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations.
* BC Hydro conducts pre-placement medical checks of applicants entering certain positions to help safeguard BC Hydro’s workplace. As part of the selection process, you may be required to demonstrate successful completion of a pre-placement medical check.
* Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by October 31, 2023.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week