Forestry Supervisor- Silviculture
Here is an exciting opportunity for a forest professional who is looking to expand their knowledge of innovative silviculture activities and gain new skills that support the management of a stable fibre supply for future generations.
Gilbert Smith Forest Products Ltd. is a family owned and operated wood products company. With over 65 years of speciality product experience and over 100 years of family history in the industry, we have the experience and proven track record of a reliable producer of high-quality products. Gilbert Smith is deeply connected to our local communities, indigenous partners, and employee families. These relationships are the foundation of our business. We are uncompromising in integrating safety into all we do and believe that by being creative and innovative we can sustain forests for future generations.
Gilbert Smith Forest Products Ltd. is located in beautiful Barriere, BC. Most staff live between Heffley Creek and Clearwater, BC in the amazing North Thompson Valley.
North Thompson Valley British Columbia — Wilderness Just a Step Away. Discover a land of endless adventures — where rivers run wild and waterfalls thunder, where wildlife roam free and the snowfall is epic. Find yourself here, awed by its rugged beauty and charmed by the people who call this place home. Come work and play in an untamed wilderness — in the heart of British Columbia’s central interior.
Reporting to the Woodlands Manager, the Forestry Supervisor- Silviculture will work with a team of professionals responsible for all woodland’s silviculture activities. You will primarily be accountable for the silviculture program for the company and will enjoy a balanced mix of field and office work. During periods when silviculture work is less time-demanding, you will assist with cutting and road permit development and operations which will provide a wide range of practical experience in forestry closely tethered to a specialty manufacturing facility. In your career with Gilbert Smith Forest Products Ltd., you will participate in all aspects of the supply chain process .
Implement all aspects of the silviculture program including:
- Tree planting coordination and supervision
- Site Preparation and stand tending coordination and supervision
- Supervise summer students
- Seed procurement
- Survey plans, contractor supervision and surveying as required
- Reporting Silviculture and Land Status Tracing System (RESULTS) reporting
- Milestone declarations
- Assist with preparation and review of site plans
- Contract development, administration, and supervision
- Assist with Cutting and road permit development when silviculture schedule allows
- Consultation with stakeholders and First Nations
- Assist with maintaining environmental certification (SFI)
- Assist with operations where necessary
- Participation in working groups and meetings
Skills and Experience:
- Registered with FPBC or eligible.
- 2+ years of experience in a similar capacity within the forest industry preferred.
- Knowledge of Forest Legislation, Regulations and Guidelines.
- Independently motivated but thrives in a highly interactive and energetic team environment.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and be able to prioritize multiple projects/tasks.
- Ability to identify and reduce risk and prioritize safety, throughout all aspects of the program.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving, and logical thinking skills.
- Detail/results oriented with a focus on innovation.
GSFP provides a competitive compensation package, pension plan, profit share program, and flexible work schedule. We offer a friendly, professional work environment where your work will be recognized and appreciated. If you do not currently meet all qualifications, we still encourage you to apply.
If you are ready to build your career with this challenging opportunity, submit your cover letter, addressed to Craig Hewlett, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Forestry Supervisor –Silviculture” in your subject line. For more information about Gilbert Smith, visit our website at www.gsfpcedar.com.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Open until filled.