Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Forester, Vegetation
Job Number: BCH-R-3087-230907E1
Job Location: Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Positions Available: 2
Powered by water... and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We're proud to be ranked as one of B.C.'s Top Employers and one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
The Capital Forester reports to the Vegetation and Access Manager in Program and Contract Management and is responsible for facilitating the Professional Forestry requirements on a variety of Capital Projects.
The successful candidate will be required to:
* Participate in a multidisciplinary environment for the forestry engineering requirements of major and minor capital projects requiring Professional Forestry services on behalf of BC Hydro.
* Analyze, interpret, and evaluate various technical studies and data-sets to provide Professional Forestry opinions, analysis, advice, services and support for the planning and implementation of timber harvesting, vegetation clearing and access planning decisions on a variety of projects around the province of British Columbia.
* Develop detailed cost estimates for forestry engineering and clearing and access construction activities.
* Fulfill the role of a forestry Subject Matter Expert for BC Hydro and its clients.
* Assist with the development of contract scope, specifications and associated documents for forestry engineering and layout contracts.
* Implement and administer forestry engineering and layout contracts for professional and technical activities that will include, but may not be limited to, clearing boundary and road layout, access planning and management, water course classification, identification of environmental features, clearing system stratification, timber cruising and valuation, hazard tree and danger tree identification and mapping.
* Ensure forestry engineering and layout contract deliverables meet contract specifications by completing quality assurance checks, that the deliverables are received according to the project
* Supervise and administer contracts for clearing and access construction by completing quality assurance measurements/audits, by verifying and recommending acceptance or rejection of requests for changes to clearing and access plans, by completing periodic reports or updates with regards to schedule, progress, conformance or compliance, payment and any other activities as required.
* Schedule and requirements of other project Teams, such as Properties, Archaeology, Environment, Regulatory/Permit, Procurement, Safety and Construction and that that progress or updates are conveyed in periodic reports, as required.
The successful candidate will be:
* A Registered Professional Forester (RPF) in good standing with the Association of BC Forest Professionals.
* Those that are eligible for professional registration in British Columbia as a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) may also be considered.
* Experienced, with a minimum of eight (8) years of related industrial forestry experience with emphasis on forest management, forest operations, forest planning, stakeholder engagement, timber harvesting and road construction and planning or a minimum of five years of experience in forest operations within multi-disciplinary construction/capital projects.
* Knowledgeable of legislation and regulations governing forest practices, environmental and water resources, Cultural and Heritage resources, and Utilities in BC; as well as additional commitments ascribed under environmental certification.
* Able to manage, adapt to change, and deliver a quality work product in a multi-disciplinary environment.
* Competent with Microsoft Office Suite of applications and Adobe.
* Must hold a valid BC Driver’s License.
* This is a full-time permanent M & P opportunity, based out of Prince George.
* These positions will require regular travel around the province and overnight stays.
* Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
* A condition of employment in this role is that you maintain your Class 5 Driver's License in good standing.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by Sep. 21, 2023.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week