The rural Community of McBride is situated in the picturesque Robson Valley. With a population of 1600 the community supports two schools, a hospital, arena, and multiple local businesses located in the village center. The area also provides a wide variety of recreational and business opportunities including a significant agriculture sector.
The Local COMFOR covers an area of 60,000 ha and operates under a municipal corporation issued to the community with the goal of providing a resource to help sustain the local economy.
Reporting to the General Manager (GM), the Forest Operations Manager is responsible for oversight of MCFC woodlands operations including but not limited to planning, permitting, timber harvesting and silviculture. The successful candidate will require minimal supervision and will work within MCFC’s policies and procedures with a strong commitment to safety, environment, and quality.
Key Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise all harvesting activities, road building, planning and silviculture projects.
- Ensure all site inspections are documented on MCFC field inspection forms and entered into MCFC administration data base.
- Ensure log quality meets MCFC customer specifications.
- Ensuring excellence and continuous improvement with safety, environmental, and regulatory requirements.
- Assist in the development of forestry contracts and participate in rate negotiations.
- production forecasting for all aspects of forestry operations.
- Ensure forest operations are compliant with all provincial/federal statutes & regulations.
- Monitor and supervise road maintenance planning and scheduling.
- Contract management of post-harvest activities that may include (burning and waste survey programs).
- Primary contact person for contractors.
- Work with the GM to develop annual and seasonal log sales plans.
- Assist GM in development of the annual budget.
- Ensure forestry records (Phoenix) and RESULTS data entries are well organized and complete.
- Ensure block files are complete and well organized in hard and soft paper and digital copies.
- Maintain data and provide reporting for Ministry Results ESF Submissions.
- Maintains and reports on silviculture accrual and planting.
- Maintains and reports on Weight Scales.
- Assist GM in providing regular updates to the Board of Directors.
- Submit notifications as required by our cutting permit documents and WCB regulations (e.g., commencement of work).
- Practices and adheres to WorkSafeBC and MCFC policies and procedures.
- Performs additional related duties as required.
Position Preferred Skills:
- Registered or eligible for registration with the Forest Professionals British Columbia (FPBC) as a Registered Forest Technologist (RFT) or Registered Professional Forester (RPF) and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in operational field forestry activities.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience in operational field forestry activities.
- Supervision/management experience.
- Thorough understanding and working knowledge of all related forestry legislation and regulations.
- Must possess at minimum a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence that does not limit or restrict the ability to conduct the duties of the job.
- Must be willing and able to withstand the rigors of fieldwork.
- Must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions.
What We Offer:
MCFC offers a competitive salary, based both on what you bring to the role and benchmarked to market conditions. You’ll also receive a competitive benefits package.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting career opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume, no later than 4:30 p.m., September 15th, 2023 to the General Manager, McBride Community Forest Corporation by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.