Ministry of Forests
Dawson Creek, Fort St John (Hybrid)
Flexible work options are available; this position may be able to work up to 2 days at home per week subject to an approved telework agreement. Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
Certification Standards Officer
$73,855.42 - $84,134.34 annually
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) works collaboratively with regional and district operations to plan, develop, and auction a substantial portion of the province’s annual available timber volume. BCTS operates as a for-profit entity within a government organization. Its goal is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the Market Pricing System through auctions of timber harvested from British Columbia’s public land. BCTS operations are guided by three overarching principles: forest sector safety, reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and sustainable forest management.
The Certification Standards Officer (CSO) is responsible for coordinating, implementing, monitoring and improving forest certification systems and safety across BCTS. This position must ensure the alignment of the BCTS program with provincial programs through the employment of leadership and influence skills. This position is the primary contact for internal and third-party forest certification audits to evaluate adherence to and the performance of prescribed standards and processes.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Graduation from an approved technical institute with a diploma or a degree in resource or forestry management and three years of experience in one or more operational field- forestry activities, OR
- An equivalent combination of education and five years of experience in one or more operational field forestry.
- Operational field forestry activities include one or more of the following:
- Timber harvesting monitoring/conformance
- Cut-block development
- Forest road engineering
- Timber tenure development and administration
- Experience with Environmental Management Systems, Sustainable Forest Management and Safety Certification Systems.
For more information and to apply online by October 9, 2023, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/105306